Friday, October 31, 2008

Once when I was 22, I'm convinced I almost drowned

Once when I was 22, I'm convinced I almost drowned
Or something quite like it
At least I don't remember coming up for air

I remember trying to pull myself in from the tide by her hair
(Which the weathermen remarked
Had been changing)

I do remember suffering at the hands of many suggestions
(And preferred methods of resuscitation)
Anglo-Saxon home remedies while still under sea

I think they even managed a song or two over my still throbbing head
And pipers who applied the holy scriptures
Little naked people with harps they made from cardboard and twine

And now above, shall I wonder why this world tastes of darkest green salt?
The carnival rides all look suspicious
And everyone's face sodium shriveled when I greet them

No comments: