Friday, January 2, 2009

Amuse

Dear goddess allow me,
But for a moment to amuse thee

For when last time we had met
The previous night I had received little sleep
And nearly holding myself up against the wall
You did greet me with a simple hello
(Which took me several minutes to hear)

Alas dear dark-haired grass nymph
Do not train your spheres on me
As I assume you are preparing tuna-fish sandwiches
And ask God in prayer that thou didst for me

I am assaulted with images of your smooth-god associate
Who seems to own your limpet smile
And I, all the while
Leave the room that trails with this gentle sandwich perfume
(And herbal tea but for two)

Wouldst thou, dear goddess, amuse me
And but for a quick moment pretend,
To apply such affections to me

3 comments:

Luke Brewster said...

Already said this in person, but for the record, this is good.

Sheena LaShay said...

Every time I read this poem, I love it more and more. I finally printed it out and framed it.

TheModernCritic said...

Thank you. I would never have expected a compliment like that.